Children of Heaven - Iranian Movie




Having been greatly impressed by recent works such as A Separation and About Elly, I was curious to learn what other hidden gems I could uncover from Iranian cinema. After a little digging, I found Children of Heaven and I can say hand on heart that I found it to be one of the most charming and satisfying pieces of cinema I have ever had the privilege to view. Released around 1998, director/writer Majid Majidi’s film has the simplest plot imaginable. Eight year old Ali (Amir Farrokh Hashemian) is tasked by his sick mother to go grocery shopping and take his younger sister, Zarah’s (Bahare Seddiqi) only pair of shoes to the cobbler for repair. Ali leaves the repaired shoes outside of the shop, as is the custom, and whilst inside a blind peddler inadvertently mistakes the shoes fore cast offs, throws them into his barrow and takes off.A moving story about the universal bonds of family as well as the specific circumstances of a poor family trying to make ends meet in Iran, CHILDREN OF HEAVEN is an incredible coming-of-age film, a beautifully rendered encapsulation of the trials and suspense of childhood no matter where you live. The climax of the film is exciting reinterpretation of the "comeback kid" sports movie, and it takes many unanticipated twists and turns. This was the first Iranian film to earn an Academy Award nomination, and with good reason. The themes and characters are universal and the story is as exciting as it is poignant. Children of Heaven is one of those magical films that break down perceived barriers and differences between cultures, an enlightening and entertaining cinematic journey.Bumm Bumm Bole is touted as the Indian Adaptation of the Iranian Film Children of Heaven. Most of the frames are an exact match with just a few additions thrown in to give a more Indian feel to it.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

India against corruption

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

Can you fall in love with someone you've never met? The Lunch Box.